Virginia Pharmacy Technician Training Programs
As of July 2012, the state of Virginia had several requirements for aspiring pharmacy technicians. They must complete a board-approved training program OR earn Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) certification AND register with the State Board. To earn PTCB certification, individuals must take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) or other board approved examination. Exams may be taken online or at more than 200 professional centers nationwide. Visit the PTCB website to get started.
Registering with the State of Virginia
According to the Virginia Board of Pharmacy, “there are two methods for obtaining registration as a pharmacy technician.” Either of the following methods is acceptable:
1. If an individual holds current certification from the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB), then he may submit the online Application for Registration as a Pharmacy Technician to the Board for review. Information regarding obtaining certification from PTCB may be accessed at www.ptcb.org and the Board’s online application may be accessed at www.license.dhp.virginia.gov/apply/.
2. An individual must satisfactorily complete a Virginia Board of Pharmacy approved training program, pass a Board of Pharmacy approved examination, and then submit the online Application for Registration as a Pharmacy Technician to the Board for review. Additionally, there are currently two Board approved examinations. An individual may either take and pass the Virginia Pharmacy Technician Exam or the ExCPT exam.
For those individuals interested in completing a training program, as stated, the program must be Virginia Board of Pharmacy approved. Fortunately, the state of Virginia has a wide variety of approved programs to choose from. Some are offered at community colleges and universities, while others are offered at medical centers such as Augusta Medical Center or corporations such as Walgreen Company, Target Corporation, and The Kroger Company. Learning centers and public schools offer even more options.
The list of popular programs below is just a start. For the complete list, visit the Virginia Board of Pharmacy.
Virginia Schools with Pharmacy Technician Training Programs:
- Richmond, VA
- DIP - Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmacy Technology, Associates Degree
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
Pharmacy Technician Programs - Major Virginia Colleges and Universities
National College – Charlottesville, Danville, Harrisonburg, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Salem
Norfolk State University – Virginia Beach
Stratford University – Falls Church, Glen Allen, Woodbridge
VCU School of Pharmacy – Richmond
Pharmacy Technician Programs – Other Virginia Colleges
Blue Ridge Community College – Weyers Cave
Central Virginia Community College – Lynchburg
Danville Community College – Danville
ECPI University – Virginia Beach,
Lord Fairfax Community College – Middletown
Mountain Empire Community College – Big Stone Gap
New River Community College – Dublin
Northern Virginia Community College – Springfield
Thomas Nelson Community College – Hampton
Tidewater Community College – Norfolk
Virginia College – Richmond
Virginia Western Community College – Roanoke
Wilkes Community College – Wilkesboro
Wytheville Community College – Wytheville